1. Direct heat (ie, flat irons, curlers). Direct heat is not a curly naturals’ friend, so you should really minimize/eliminate direct heat from your hairstyling routine.
2. Relaxers and other chemicals. *Sigh*, please go back and watch the documentary “Good Hair”, so I don’t have to get on my soapbox today.
3. Gluing wigs to your edges. Listen honey, rock your wig if you wanna, I promise I support you, but gluing wigs to your edges YOU KNOW is killin’ em and got you out here in these streets looking cray.
4. Not protecting your hair at night when you go to sleep. Get yourself and your babies a 100% silk or satin pillowcase and/or bonnet.
5. Overstyling. Unless you’re a famous hair blogger and you make a living doing your hair every day, stop overstyling it; do less, boo, your hair will thank you.
6. Dirty hair. Chile, please wash your hair every 7 to 10 days. This is a non-negotiable.
7. Keeping hair in protective styles way too long. Queen, that crown has to breathe. Your beautiful strands need a good wash and deep conditioning so don’t keep them prisoner for months on end. And let your hair out for a little bit before you put the next protective style back in.
8. Letting split ends stay for the sake of length. Ya’ll seen Frozen? Let it gooooooooo, let it gooooo, you don’t need those ends no mo’ . Get your ends trimmed as needed – and be honest with yourself as to when it’s needed. Neatly trimmed hair does a lot to improve the look of your natural hair
9. Bad hair product ingredients. Do your best to stay away from drying alcohols, parabens, sulfates, and mineral oil (aka paraffinum liquidum)